dialectic journal: book 3


Son of the Mob by Gordon Korman


1. "I pop the trunk, reach in, and freeze. I almost choke on my lungs, which have leaped up the back of my throat. There's the blanket, all right--wrapped around the unconscious body of some guy! To be honest, my first thought is that he's dead" pg.6

Vince Luca is on a date with Angela and they're at the beach. Vince opens his trunk to get a blanket and finds a man, bleeding. This quote is important because it shows one of the crazy things that Vince has to deal with because of his father's business. I predict that Angela will freak out run off somewhere, leaving Vince and the body.

2. "And where one day, I open my Cracker Jacks at snack time and find a box full of cut diamonds.... I have to be evaluated by a psychologist after that, because I'm so obsessed with my food." pg.7

This is a flashback of Vince when he was seven, when he was starting to figure out what his father really did for a living. This quote is interesting because I actually pictured a little boy opening a bag of Cracker Jacks, expecting cracker jacks, but sees diamonds instead. I think Vince still isn't used to having strange things happen to him.

3. "It's only at those times that I realize the great guy I call Dad is a man who runs a criminal organization that operates by means of violence and intimidation. And I really, truly, honestly want nothing to do with it." pg.23

Vince describes how everyone respects and looks up to his dad, even though they're scared of him. The significance of Vince not wanting anything to do with this business shows that he had different goals in life, other than following his dad's footsteps. I think that Vince's dad, Anthony Luca, will try to convince him to change his mind about being involved with the family business.

4. "My father always has a special smile when he sees my Mazda, even though it looks pretty lame next to the parade of limos and Beamers and Mercedes that are always coming and going at our place. Ray says Dad still disapproves of the way I got it--you know, legitimately. But maybe that's what he likes about it--that his younger son did soemthing he disapproves of." pg.27

This is another flashback of when Vince was arrested for having a stolen car, which he got for his sixteenth birthday. So he decided to buy his own car, rejecting the way of The Business. This quote shows that Vince knows how to make his own decisions and his dad supports those decisions. I predict that Vince will have a life changing decision to make and he'll need a lot of help making it.

5. "I just made out with the daughter of the man whose goal in life is to send my father to prison." pg.63

Like every other high school teenager, Vince went to a party and kisses a girl, Kendra, whose father is the FBI agent investigating his father. This quote shows what a small world it is. It's also the beginning of a big problem that's about to happen in Vince's own life and the life he wants nothing to do with. I think that Vince and Kendra's dads will find out about them and forbid them to see each other since they do live two seperate lives.

6. "They say when you're in a car accident, there's a split second where you know what's going to happen, but you can't do anything about it. That's me." pg. 121

Kendra just asked Vince to have dinner at her house but Vince doesn't like the idea, since Kendra's dad despises Vince's family. This quote is important because it tells me that Vince can't keep his secret much longer and he can't avoid meeting Kendra's parents for long either. I predict that Vince will break up with Kendra because he knows that things will never work out for them.

7. "I'm freaking out. There are so many things that could go wrong here that I can't even count them all. Kendra could hate me now. She could be confessing everything to her father this very minute." pg.164

Vince and Kendra are at the mall and Kendra's dad happens to be there too so she calls him over. Vince panics and tells Kendra everything, so now he's hiding from Kendra's dad, wondering what's about to happen. This quote is suspenseful and keeps me wondering if Kendra is going to keep Vince, or stay loyal to her father. I think that Kendra will continue the relationship she has with Vince because he doesn't have anything to do with his father's mob business.

8. "I don't give Dad the satisfaction of an answer. I am involved in this thing, and nobody can undo that, not even the great Anthony Luca." pg.191

Vince and his dad are argueing about Vince's involvement in an activity having to do with "the business." This is important because Vince had something to do with his father's business, even though he was against it in the beginning. I think that later on, Vince will realize that he should have never took part in the mob business and stay away from it for good.

9. "I don't know if I'm right anymore. I can't access any of the facts that led me to conclude that Ray's FBI." pg.236

There's a spy in the Anthony Luca's criminal organization and he's the guy that Vince admires the most. Ray's going crazy because Vince knows that he's undercover, and he's scared that he'll be killed. This quote shows me that Vince, an eighteen year old, can figure this out but his dad, head of a criminal organization, had no idea. I predict that since Vince looked up to Ray, he won't blow Ray's cover, but he won't exactly let Ray get his dad arrested either.

10. "It's such a perfect exit line that I don't even stick around to enjoy the look on his face." pg.256

Vince just threatened his father to leave Ray alone or else the FBI will have evidence against him. Vince also tells his dad that he's been dating the FBI agent's daughter. I like this quote because I see the kind of guy Vince really is. He's independent, trustworthy, and isn't afraid to stick to what he believes in. I think that Vince will grow up to be a successful man, just like his father, but in another business.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heya im fresh to this. I hit upon this board I have found It exceedingly accessible & it's helped me out so much. I should be able to contribute & aid others like its helped me.

Thanks, See You Around.